2021/22 Transition Information
- Wednesday 16th June 2021 (5.30pm): Year 6 into 7 Information Evening / ’Meet the Tutor’
- Tuesday 29th June 2021 (09.00 – 15.00): Transition Event 1
- Wednesday 30th June 2021 (09.00 – 15.00): Transition Event 2
- Friday 27th August 2021 (4.30pm-6pm): Welcome BBQ for students and their families
Take a look around the new 360° Tour of our school and get a feel for where different areas are, then when you arrive you will feel like you know the school already.
These are some of the resources from last year’s transition process:
An introduction to life at SET Saxmundham School:
2021/22 Transition Information
Starting a new school can be a daunting prospect, so from well before Year 6 students have their places confirmed with us, we work with their primary schools to ensure that they feel part of SET Saxmundham School even before they apply. In the years before a student makes the transition to SET Saxmundham School, they might be involved in or attend:
- Open Evenings & Mornings – our next Year 4 and 5 Open Evening is Wednesday 9 June. Please see our Events Calendar for further dates.
- A School Production
- Transition Events on Sport, MFL, Technology, Maths, English or Science
- Lessons with teachers and students visiting primary schools (including year groups other than, and as well as, Year 6)
- Friends of SET Saxmundham School Events, such as Barn Dances and Christmas Fayres
- Visits to the Year 6 students from staff
- Taster and Transition Days for our September 2021 Year 7 students – we are holding a Meet the Tutor Evening on 16 June and Transition Days on Tuesday 29 and Wednesday 30 June 2021.
- Summer School
Below is a list of the primary schools from where our current Year 7s came from. As our school continues to grow, we look forward to developing our relationships with all of these schools further.
- Bramfield Church of England Primary School
- Britannia Primary School and Nursery
- Colneis Primary School
- Easton Primary School
- Grange Community Primary School
- Kelsale Primary School
- Langer Primary Academy
- Leiston Primary School
- Melton Primary School
- Orford CEVA Primary School
- Peasenhall Primary School
- Saxmundham Primary School
- SET Causton Junior School
- St Mary’s CEVC Primary School Benhall
- Trimley St Martin Primary School
- Trimley St Mary Primary School
- Wickham Market Primary School
And it doesn’t stop when they arrive!
A student’s first week at SET Saxmundham School will begin with three welcome days, where they will work with the Head of Lower School, their Tutor team, teachers, and other staff to ensure they quickly feel like a member of SET Saxmundham School. Students will cover all aspects from how the school day runs, to the 6Cs to Success, as well as Enrichment and the lessons themselves. It is always a wonderful start to life at SET Saxmundham School for the new Y7 students.
Our Inclusion Leader Miss Marsden has a vast amount of experience in the role of Transition, and brings great skills and dedication to ensuring that every single new Y7 student is settled on their first day at SET Saxmundham School by working with students, parents, primary schools and staff at SET Saxmundham School throughout the whole process.
Many students do not come to SET Saxmundham School from a local primary school, and the inclusion team work hard to ensure that these students are just as confident and feel as important as every other student making the transition to SET Saxmundham School.
The majority of students find the whole process of transition exciting and fulfilling, but some students are always more worried than others. As well as the huge team of staff on hand to support the students, every student will complete and own a Personal Education Plan (PEP), which they will co-write with their Form Tutor. The PEP will then be developed throughout the student’s time at school; reflecting and reporting on their educational journey.
Students are given the opportunity to share their individual strengths and interests to assist teachers in the planning of personally relevant lessons. They are guided in the exploration of personal life goals with a focus on how schooling can help them be reached.
Barriers to Learning
The tutor will collect information from the Inclusion register to create a full picture of the individual.
The Inclusion Leader will liaise with parents/carers and external professionals to explore any essential teaching strategies to support individuals’ needs.
If a student requires a specific resource in order to access learning it will be outlined in their PEP.
School and external provision / intervention
All teaching staff are responsible for the recording of interventions and any external provision they are aware the student receives.
Statements of Special Educational Needs
PEPs will also be the format used to monitor progress towards meeting objectives as identified in Statements.
We appreciate that parents/carers have a wealth of information on their children that can positively inform our practice. PEPs are shared with parents / carers who are invited to regularly discuss them with tutors, teachers and the Inclusion Leader. This will form a part of the formal reporting cycle.
Transition to SET Saxmundham School is an overwhelmingly positive experience and we will work with each and every individual student and their family to ensure that we meet their hopes and their expectations.
If you have any further questions regarding the transition process, then please email the School – email@example.com
At SET Saxmundham School we operate a cash free system for all payments in school.
- enables you to pay for School meals and other items such as School trips;
- offers a highly secure payment site;
- gives you a history of all the payments you have made;
- allows to create a single account login across all your children that attend a ParentPay school.
How does ParentMail help you?
- gives you the freedom to make payments to school whenever and wherever you like;
- stops you having to write cheques or search for cash to send to school;
- gives you peace of mind that your payment has been made safely and securely.
If you have any questions about transition please contact Mrs Tanya Kirk by email, on the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition, the Head of School will meet personally with any prospective parent to discuss any element of the transition process – however big or small! Please just contact the School Office to make a mutually convenient time to meet.